Saturday, December 29, 2012

2012 In Review

Here's another year in the books.  And music-wise for me this year, it's been quite a bit different than past years.  Since everyone does their end-of-the-year wrap ups and "best of" articles about now, I felt somewhat obligated.

So, in no particular order in my Top-10 Music/Gig moments of 2012

  1. In March, The Rhythm Dawgs take their first extended break in their 13 year history
  2. The same Rhythm Dawgs reunite in December and play to a packed house, basically picking up exactly where we left off.
  3. After roughly a year, I parted ways with Triple Play. Still love the folks and will support the band wherever I can....things just weren't panning out like I had hoped.
  4. I did my first major PA upgrade in 10 years, discovering the beauty of digital consoles and modern power amps that weigh a fraction of what they used to.
  5. Proved that it's possible to get frost bite from bass strings by playing an outdoor wedding reception back in February.
  6. Once again confirmed at the same gig that the more upper class a venue is, the more they treat their bands like crap.
  7. Via the Michael Ingalls Band, have seen first hand that Motorhead is a guilty pleasure that more people than let on really really like.
  8. Drank the Apple Kool-Aid and found out that iPads are all they're cracked up to be...especially when they let you replace 3 large notebooks of music.
  9. Proved to myself once again that I'd much rather play with good musicians who are great people than great musicians who are full of themselves.
  10. Rush will finally be inducted into the Rock-n-Roll Hall of fame. That doesn't have anything to do with me, but it's freakin' cool!
So, what's ahead in 2013 for me?  The Rhythm Dawgs will be playing out albeit at a much reduced pace from previous years.  In the next week or two, I'll be starting work on an album with Michael Ingalls which should be cool.  And I'm planning on continuing writing these tidbits weekly.  Oh yeah, I'm sure there will be a new gadget in there somewhere.

Thanks to all who have taken to reading this blog...it's much appreciated.  And to all my friends, band mates, clients, and lurkers out there I wish you all the best in 2013.

Until next year, keep the meters out of the red.

Ken



 














Ken Carver has been a musician and performer since the early 70's, and involved with live music production since the mid 70's. He worked for 15 years as a broadcast engineer, building numerous studios and transmitter sites around Texas. He's also worked in Critical Care Communications for the medical industry, R&D for an automated lighting manufacturer, and owned Project Lighting & Sound in the 80's. He currently heads up an R&D Hardware Technician Team at National Instruments in Austin, and still performs on the weekends in the Central Texas area. You can reach Ken at itsjustlogistics@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for years of solid entertainment!

    Chris Creole

    ReplyDelete